Thank you for visiting Quilt Moments’ new blog. I am so excited to be included in Quiltmaker’s fun publication along with so many great designers and thought this hop would be a great incentive for me to finally start a blog and share my quilting adventures. Today I’ll share some ideas on how to use my block and give you a chance to win several goodies including a kit! Keep reading to the end to see what you could win!
I was tickled to find that my block was on the cover of the magazine. If you’re familiar with my designs you know that I love to use large print fabrics in my quilts and often put what I call “4-patch kaleidoscopes” in my block centers. My block is #376, Holiday Splendor. Can you guess from these hints which block is mine?
Well, here it is………
I made the block using the large poinsettia print from Moda’s Jovial collection designed by Basic Grey and combined it with prints from Moda’s Puzzle Pieces blender collection. Let’s play with the block and see how it looks in some other fabric collections.
Here is an image of the block made with Robert Kaufman’s Holiday Flourish 4 line
And here are 9 blocks put together with a border to make a 48” x 48” tabletopper or wallhanging.
The large print shown on the border is what is used for all the 4-patch block centers.
I have many patterns and a book featuring this easy technique which you can see on my website, but
here are the construction highlights:
1) Cut or rip a piece of large print fabric containing at least 4 fabric repeats lengthwise down the middle and save one of these pieces for the wide borders
2) Cut out and layer four identical pieces of the fabric following the design repeat and pin around the perimeter with flathead pins carefully capturing the same motif through all fabric layers
3) Rotary cut strip sets 3-1/2” wide and then sub-cut them into 3-1/2” square sets.
4) Take a square set, and rotate the four identical squares to create a 4-patch kaleidoscope. There are four different rotation options so have fun choosing your favorite look!
Here is an image of the same block made with Monique Dillard’s Memories of Provence collection for Maywood Studio.
Monique is one of the designers in the hop so I thought it would be fun to show her fabric line, plus I’ve created images of several of my quilts using this beautiful fabric line (see What’s New on my website) and wanted to see what it would look like in this block.
See how the quilt changes by simply switching the pink to green:
Have fun choosing a large print to make your own block. Florals work great, but you can also have fun using novelty prints and kids’ prints.
Now for the goodies. Help me start out my first blog entry with a bang and enter to win one of 4 prizes in honor of Volume 4.
The prizes are:
1) Quiltmaker 100 Block Volume 4 magazine
2) My Kaleidoscope Symphony book
3) A Quilt Moments’ pattern of your choice
4) A table/sofarunner Kaleidoscope Symphony kit with the same Moda Jovial fabrics used in my block. See photo below.
So simply leave me a comment by midnight Saturday November 12th with your contact info and you may win one of these prizes! Tell me what pattern you would like to win (you can see all of them on my website), what you like about blogs, what you’re having for dinner and/or whatever you feel like sharing in your comment!
Then remember to visit Quiltmaker and all the other blogs today for more entertainment and chances to win prizes.
Enjoy all your quilt moments!